Low-carb Corn Muffins
The next time you prepare stew or soup for your slow cooker, try pairing it with these corn muffins. Nikki Sheriff took a traditional recipe and reduced the carbs to make it her own.
I've never had a first attempt turn out good. I had my doubts on my first attempt of these corn muffins. All the while putting it together, I was thinking "These aren't going to be sweet enough...This batter is too thin, they're not going to work...I'm going to have to try this a few more times before I get it." Then, I pulled them from the oven, popped one out, and took a bite.
They're moist, not too crumbly and perfectly sweet. I don't even feel like I need to put any honey on them. I don't even feel the need to put any butter on them. I like them just the way they are.
To make 12 muffins
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 TBL Splenda brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 TBL lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, add the milk and the lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, almond meal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk it together, breaking up all the clumps.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and oil together with a whisk. Add the milk/lemon juice mixture and stir together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is moist, but don't over-mix.
In a sprayed (use baking spray) and floured muffin tin, pour in a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the cups so it is only about halfway full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick put into the center comes out clean.
About Nikki Sheriff:
Nikki Sheriff is wife and mother. After being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012 she became determined to find and create delicious recipes that will satisfy her cravings, help her manage blood sugar, and that her whole family will enjoy.
Find her recipes at http://naughtycarbs.blogspot.com
Follow Naughty Carbs on Instagram