Love bread but hate the carbs? Here's the solution: Cheesy Onion Cloud Bread, from Nikki Sheriff!
A few years ago I saw a recipe for "cloud bread" floating around on the web as a bread replacement for sandwiches. It sounded interesting. So I gave it a try. And guess what?
I didn't like it.
But I liked the idea of it. So I didn't give up.
What I didn't like about it was that it's a bit flavorless. I like bold flavors. So, I played around with it a bit, adding some flavor. And I was so happy with the result! Delicious!!! Baked cheese and onion? Yeah, baby!
This recipe will make enough to serve two.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 packet stevia
- 3 TBL cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 dashes sea salt
- 1 very thin slice of a red onion, slightly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In one bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolks, cream cheese and stevia. Fold the egg whites gently into the yolk mix, being careful not break it down.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop the mixture into 4 even rounds.
- Sprinkle a dash of sea salt on each round and 1/2 tsp garlic powder on each round. On two of the rounds (the tops), sprinkle half the onion and 1/4 cup of mozzarella on each.
- Bake on middle rack for 30-35 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
For two servings (sandwiches):
Try preparing this cloud bread with the pictured, wonderfully low-carb Grilled Summer Vegetable Sandwich from Naughty Carbs.