Rice is loaded with carbohydrates and is one of the most popular foods to avoid for a lower-carb lifestyle. But what about all the great dishes that get left out when you eliminate rice? Here's a perfect way to keep enjoying rice-based dishes.
Cauliflower is such a great substitute for potatoes. But I especially like it as a substitute for rice. And the best part? It's so fast and easy to make into riced-cauliflower, or "cauli-rice", as I like to call it.
For 1 cup of Cauli-Rice: 32 calories, 0.3g fat, 5g carbs, 2.5g protein
Here's how you do it
- Roughly chop and core 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower.
- Pour half of the cauliflower florets into a food processor with the blade attached.
- Pulse until the cauliflower is roughly the size of rice. Pour into a microwave-safe bowl, fitted with a lid.
- Repeat with the other half of the florets.
- When all the cauliflower is chopped and in the bowl, cover and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. DO NOT ADD WATER. It will make the cauliflower gummy. The natural moisture in the cauliflower will suffice for steaming.
- After 3 minutes, stir the cauliflower and then return the bowl to the microwave, covered, cooking for 1-minute intervals until the cauliflower is soft, steamy and perfect. 5 minutes total was the perfect amount of time for my microwave, but time may vary.
Serve plain, with a little butter and salt and pepper on top, or create something wonderful using this cauli-rice as a base.
About Nikki Sheriff:
Nikki Sheriff is wife and mother. After being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012 she became determined to find and create delicious recipes that will satisfy her cravings, help her manage blood sugar, and that her whole family will enjoy.
Find her recipes at http://naughtycarbs.blogspot.com
Follow Naughty Carbs on Instagram