Here's a delectable way to serve tomatoes for dinner. Try it this week!
Fresh tomatoes are flavorful and healthy. A medium beefsteak tomato has 20% of your recommended daily value (DV) of Vitamin A, 60% DV Vitamin C, and other essential nutrients on top of just 4 grams net carbohydrates. Make them into a main course with this simple recipe!
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes, (or medium tomatoes you prefer)
- 6 bacon slices
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup croutons
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11x7" baking dish.
- Chop bell pepper.
- Wash tomatoes and slice off stems. Scoop pulp out and set aside.
- Place bacon strips in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Finely chop 1/3 cup of tomato pulp and place in a medium bowl, discarding the remaining pulp.
- Stir bacon, green pepper, cheese, croutons, salt and pepper well into tomato pulp. Spoon the mixture into each hollowed tomato and place on the prepared baking dish.
- Bake up to 25 minutes and serve.
Total fat: 15g. Sodium: 332mg. Potassium: 582mg. Total carbohydrates: 11g. Dietary fiber: 3g. Protein: 7g.