Who doesn't love onion rings? Well, I'd imagine if you are trying to reduce fast food carbohydrates you've had to learn to love and leave them. But, how would you like to try a lower-carb version you can easily make at home? These onion rings from Naughty Carbs are delightful.
To serve 3:
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup soy flour
- 3 TBL grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder pepper to taste
- pinch of chili powder extra virgin olive oil for frying (I used about 1/4 cup)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Slice the onion about 1/2 inch thick or thicker. Separate "rings" and set aside.
- Mix egg and cream in one bowl and set aside.
- Mix soy flour, Parmesan, salt, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and chili powder in a separate bowl.
- Toss the onions in the egg/cream mixture and let them soak for 1-2 minutes.
- Let some of the excess egg mixture drip off as you transfer them to the flour mixture and toss, doing it in batches.
- Fry the onion rings in the hot oil, turning when one side is golden. Transfer to some paper towel to get all of the excess grease off.
Remember to pay attention to the nutritional information for whatever dipping sauces you use. Most have more sugar than you might think!