8 simple ingredients, 8 simple steps. This gluten-free cake from Chef Robert Lewis has lots of chocolate but no flour, making it more diabetes-friendly than your average chocolate cake recipe!
- 1 cup semisweet chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 fresh large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
The Chocolate Frosting layer on top:
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Let's Put the Cake Together:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease an 8³ round cake pan; cut a piece of parchment or waxed paper to fit, grease it, and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft. Stir until the chips melt, reheating briefly if necessary. You can also do this over a burner set at very low heat. Transfer the melted chocolate/butter to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 25 minutes; the top will have formed a thin crust, and it should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into its center.
- Remove it from the oven, and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the pan with a table knife or nylon spreader, and turn it out onto a serving plate. The top will now be on the bottom; that's fine. Also, the edges will crumble a bit, which is also fine. Allow the cake to cool completely before glazing.
And Now the Frosting:
- To make the frosting: Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is very hot, but not simmering. Remove from the microwave, and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth.
- Spoon the frosting over the cake, spreading it to drip over the sides a bit. Allow the frosting to set for 2-3 hours before serving the cake to your friends.
Yield: 8³ cake, 8 to 12 servings.